By the recent discovery of pre-Romanesque pluteus (pluteus - the wall panel, fence) the Antique roots of Njivice have been discovered. Until the discovery of the pluteus, the foundation of Njivice was dated to the year 1474 when Njivice were first mentioned in the charter of the lord of Krk Frankopan, who used this document to grant a part of his estate to Nikola Lončarić, simultaneously asking of him for a guarantee that he will take care of the church of St. Mary of the Nativity (the present Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary) and the service of God. Pluteus is a proof that Njivice have originated before the 15th century. Specifically, the pluteus was originally part of a church whose location is not yet known, but it is known that in this church it divided the area of the presbytery from the area intended for worshipers. The pluteus consists of four sections divided by a threefold ribbon and in the first two there is a motif of a dove, or a cross. The decorations on the pluteus are typical for the pre-Romanesque period so it is assumed that the church, in which the pluteus originally stood, was also built during this period (11th century). Moreover, this church had to be built somewhere near the present-day church, as indicated by the recently uncovered Antique finds from the surrounding area. This in turn leads to the conclusion that Njivice very likely have Antique roots. Pluteus is today kept in the Parish Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in which it is on display.
Church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The present-day church was built in 1905 in the site of a former chapel of St. Mary of the Nativity, which was the property of the Frankopan family, lords of Krk. The altarpiece dated to 1586 according to which the painter Ivan Volarić made the altarpiece at the main altar is kept in the church sacristy. Shrine with the Council's altar looking toward the people was decorated in 1978, designed by father Vinko Fugošić, and initiated by the domestic priest abbot Josip Jurjević. In 1996 a thorough restoration of church interiors and exteriors was completed.
The church also treasures the pre-Romanesque pluteus whose discovery pointed to the Antique roots of Njivice.